Gluten-Free Lemon and Jelly Cookies
2 1/2 cups blanched almonds (dry), ground finely in food processor
2/3 cup corn flour or cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup yellow flaxmeal (light colored)
1/2 cup + 2 tsp agave syrup
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (optional)
fruit sweetened jelly, jam, or fruit preserves of choice
1. Spray a large cookie sheet with a good vegetable oil spray and preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients(except for the jelly) in the given order. Mix well.
3. Drop dough on cookie sheet with a teaspoon and flatten with a fork.
4. After flattening, go back to each cookie pressing with either your thumb or the bottom of a spoon, creating a little crater in each cookie. Add a small amount of jelly inside the indentation, but not too much or it will overflow and spill out during the baking.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Check often to prevent burning.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet.
Makes about 2 dozen
If stored in a sealed tupperware like container they become more moist over time and the flavor intensifies.
*This recipe can be adapted with many different nuts, combinations and flavors.
Submitted by Valerie McGowan